Thursday 12 March 2020

My Plans for Publication


Mood: Inspired & Proud
Song of the Day: I Melt With You, Bowling For Soup
Note: I wanted to have this post live weeks ago, but better late than never.

Hello my peeps! For today's post, I am going to talk to you about my plans for publication and some ways that you can support me during this process. Before I jump into that, let me just say that I have been working my way up to this point for a long time. Like, three years. I know, there are authors who didn't publish their first book for much longer. But I'm not going to let ten years go by before I publish. This said, let's jump into this!

First on the agenda, I want you to know that I have considered traditional publication with a a publishing house, etc. That would take a lot of the main work off my shoulders. But here's my stipulation. I taught myself how to format for eBook and paperback thinking I would get some freelance work in those areas. In learning how to do these very crucial skills, I also learned that I enjoy doing it and actually feel better doing it myself. Not only that, but so many of my author friends took the indie path of publishing. That said, I am going to self-publish.

Self-publishing is going not only be a lot of work, but it is also going to cost money. Money that I am trying to earn. Were it not for my phone bill and pitching in to put food on the table for my family, I probably would have at least started the process last summer. Which was when I had originally planned to get one of my completed books printed for editing. Long story short, shit happened and I couldn't even get a 100-page manuscript printed. It was a total bummer. I lost motivation to write. I ended up putting all my time into working two online jobs (one for a nutrition consultant, the other as a virtual assistant). Which led to me not having much free time. I am currently taking a break from nutrition consulting, but I am still a virtual assistant.

I didn't feel a true motivation to start writing again until about November. Towards the very end of December, I started outlining The Bridge Between Worlds (I even started writing the first chapters before New Year's). On my Instagram, I revealed it as my first project of 2020. Which is completely true. I didn't work on anything else all through January. 

I know what you're thinking. You're wondering why I'm rambling about all of this. Here's the deal. I have decided to create a Patreon page. This would benefit not just me, but you guys as well. This gives you a way to support my writing and take part in the publication process. I am taking a page of advice out of Mandi Lynn's handbook and going for it. BTW, FYI, Mandi Lynn and Natalia Leigh are great AuthorTube channels to follow for all advice concerning writing and indie publishing.

Now, what does this mean for you guys? I'll break it down for you. By supporting me through Patreon, you get a truckload of awesome perks. Perks will include exclusive sneak peeks and teasers, first glimpse at cover design, giveaways, and more! Please keep in mind that I am still working out what to include, setting up different support tiers, etc. 

Currently, I have 4 books that I can prep for publishing. Anerathian Princess, Prince in Disguise [both are within the Æmienix Chronicles], Montgomery (Starship Trilogy, Book 1), and The Captain and His Lady (fantasy short story). What I would love to do is get Anerathian Princess moving first. Not only is it my first "official" fantasy novel, but I've already begun another read-through of edits. I am even talking to an editor for the heavy-duty stuff. Which, from what a few people have told me, isn't very much. The book has had such great feedback.

In other news! I am 9k words away from completing the first drafe of The Bridge Between Worlds!! xD I am so excited and so pleased with this accomplishment. I haven't finished a book this quickly in . . . maybe three and a half years. I must inform you that the last book I finished quickly was during a NaNoWriMo challange, and it was a contemporary romance novel. I started writing fantasy in spring of 2017. If you are at all interested in knowing what that book was . . . . Comment below. I'll reply with a link.

Anyway, that is all I have for now. I will talk more about Patreon in a future post. But tell me, because I really want to know. 

Which of my completed books do you think I should publish first? 

If you could, would you support me via Patroen? 

And what perks that I have not mentioned entice you to become a Patron?


Comment below!

See you in the funny papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment