Sunday 1 March 2020

My Plans for Editing & Getting Reader Feedback


Mood: Drained but EXCITED
Song of the Day: Hold Back the River, James Bay


Welcome back, peeps! If the title wasn't of any indication, in today's post I am going to share with you my editing plans for . . . . The Bridge Between Worlds, The Xiphis Saga Book 1.

Normally, I have noticed that I will edit as I go and not really put my focus on that. Sure, on occasion I will read through my books on Wattpad, notice something wrong and fix it, both on the site and in the actual manuscript. However, I plan to go about this a little differently with TBBW.

I have always considered my Wattpad supporters as beta-readers. I always upload my draft seeking feedback. Most of the time, no one complains that the book is, technically, still in draft form. I often put a disclaimer in the beginning of the book, alerting them of the current state and I point out what I am looking to get from them. I don't always get the feedback I am looking for. And by this, I mean actual feedback. Most of the people who actually read my books don't comment. AT ALL. It's a bit frustrating for me because while I don't always expect it, I still want to know that people are reading.

For TBBW, I am going to mirror a method I have learned from Mandi Lynn. I am setting up a form that will allow readers to privately send me their feedback, which will then help me assess what changes I should or shouldn't make during the "second draft". As I mentioned, this is a method used by Mandi Lynn. She discussed it in one of her earlier videos (I believe it was during the months that led up to her second book release). I think this method will prove to be effective and I will get feedback from committed readers.

What I will be doing is setting up a questionnaire that will appear after every five chapters. The questionnaire will cause the reader to think and possibly go back to re-read the chapters. Their answers will help me with rewrites, editing, structural edits, body edits. The works. Line edits and copyedits will come later.

I will be using this method in 2 ways. The first will be directly on Wattpad. The second way will be with a small group of selected beta-readers. They will either have access to a GoogleDoc, or I will send them a protected PDF of the completed draft. Every five chapters will have an ending section that will include my questions, as well as a link to a form in which they will fill out their answers. This will send them directly to me every time they complete a five-chapter section.

I have never sought out beta-readers before. I think it is because I'm always worried I might get some creeper who will rip me off or rob me of my hard work. I am, honestly, a very trusting person but I sometimes don't really go for the big risks. When it comes to my hard work, I won't really take a risk. I will definitely take a risk in other aspects of my life though.

Now that I have said all that I have above. Calling all beta-readers! If you are interested in helping me out with this book, I would greatly appreciate it. I will have a form where you can sign up to be a beta-reader for me. Here are the important details:
  • 1) My main focus is on content/development edits. I wrote out a series of questions specifically to target the feedback I am looking for. You can make your answers however long or short as you wish.
  • 2) I am not asking for you to point out punctuation or grammatical mistakes. I am open to you pointing them out, but I will have [hopefully] corrected as much as possible before allowing you to feast your eyes.
  • 3) This book does contain minor details concerning my other books (some that are already on Wattpad, some that I have yet to finish writing), but is in no way truly connected with them. It is very few and only with the first 25% of the story. If you feel you would like to read those books, feel free to reach out. (I would be happy to send you a beta-copy of said book.)
  • 4) This book ends in a CLIFFHANGER. It is the first book in a new series. Normally, I write my books as stand-alone with minor connections/links to other books within the same series. But my outline for this book swims into a second, third and hopefully fourth book(s).
  • 5) ALL the story content is subject to change, extend or be cut off. What you are reading is the first draft. If you feel you would prefer to read a later version of the book, you are more than welcome to leave me your email and I will add you to my list of final readers.
  • 5.a) I am including the original prologue; however, that I think will be taking it out completely.
  • 6) I do not know when I will reach a point where I can say "I'm ready to publish this book." I recently learned that I am not looking to make this a "full-time career". I write because I love it and it is more of a hobby I use to escape my realities. Do I want to see my book on my shelf? Of course! So I would definitely, at the very least, get it printed for myself and close loved ones. However, there will be publishing in my future and there will be many ways for you to support me. If you so choose.

Photo by: Astrid-Elaine Justiniano
I will include further details in the Beta-Reader form. This form is linked in the pages at the top of this blog. I am contemplating whether or not to have a Feedback Form, or just collect the comments within the GoogleDoc or Wattpad comments. In addition to working on this stage of the book, I wish to complete my outline for Book 2. Having TBBW done will help me get that rolling.

Thank you so much for dropping by my blog. I hope to see more of you. See you in the funny papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment