Monday 17 February 2020

Writing: Six Kingdoms, Six Bible Retellings


Hi all! I was just working on the outline for a future story and thought I'd share a little bit about it. The story pertains to The Six Kingdoms of Kurii series. This is going to be a small collection of shorter Fantasy Bible retellings. Kurii is a made-up country that takes place in a fantasy world. Each story retells a chosen Bible story with small fantasy twists.

I know, I keep saying the word "Fantasy". My brain is running on fumes, I think. HAHA!

How this turned into a collected series surprises me. I wanted to write more Bible retellings. I didn't originally plan to have them fall within the same Fantasy world, but it works out for the better. There are, in fact, six kingdoms within the main country I created and it makes sense that there would connections between the stories.

The story I am currently writing is a retelling of the Book of Esther. There is quite a bit of bias to me choosing this story to write first. One, my first name is Esther. Two, I have yet to find a fantasy retelling of this story. It is currently titled "Kingdom of Love", but I am thinking of changing the word "Love" to something more pertaining to the story. It fits either way because I am partially inspired by the film version of "One Night with the King". Only partially. There isn't any parallel comparison.
I was going to include as much detail to the Bible story as I could, but my creative freedom is a little restricted. But because I do not plan to make it too long, once I've told the whole story, it will be done.

The next story I am thinking of retelling might be the Book of Ruth. Apart from Esther, Ruth is one of my favorite Bible stories. Another one is definitely going to be David & Goliath, with an added storyline of David's friendship with Jonathan. I have not planned out all the other stories I want retold. But this is the basic plan-slash-idea. The David story is already outlined (outlines are my new best friend!), and I am starting an outline for the Ruth one.

I did think of retelling Samson & Delilah but . . . I've never written the death to a main character before. Samson's story would end in his death. *shrugs* We'll see if  I decide to go with that one or not.

That's all for now. Thanks for dropping in!


Edited to add: I have since made the minor change in the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment