Saturday 22 February 2020

Writing: Coincidences, Sci-Fi-Dystopia, and Some Updates


Alright. I'm am more than certain the title of this post has got you asking some questions. Let me break it down and answer them.

I cannot pinpoint an "exact" date, but June/July of 2019 was a very topsy-turvy month for me. Not as topsy-turvey as January 2020, but let's say it just wasn't my month. As things started looking up, I felt the motivation to write again. I'd been binging some scifi shows and had been spending a lot of time re-visiting some YA dystopian favorites. And I just, sort of, threw some words to the page.
I ended up writing a very short introduction to a series I was not entirely sure how to write. I included events that had already happened (hurricane Marie) and some events that were COMPLETELY FICTIONAL. Or so I thought. Six months later, Puerto Rico started having earthquakes. Which have not stopped?
My town felt the largest of the earthquakes. It took me, literally, a month to get over the "Phantom Shakes". Which is what my sister was calling it. Basically, my body was shaking when nothing else was and it was hard to distinguish if the ground was actually shaking. Or not.
Long story made short. When I went back to open up the draft and read that first sentence. I totally freaked out for a few days. I totally did. I even told my sister and we freaked out together. Now, by "freak out" I just mean that we were stunned into silence. That is our style of "freak out".
Needless to say, it was a complete coincidence that my idea would trigger actual events. Which it didn't. That's totally crazy . . . Right?

Anyway, the Puertorican Hearts series is probably not going to be written this year. I thought that would be the case, but it totally isn't. Besides, I am extremely focused on getting The Xiphis Saga Book 1 drafted. I already have my outline for Book 2 partially finished, and an idea of an outline for Book 3. What I don't know is if Book 1 is going to reach my word count goal, or if it will end slightly under.
This would be totally fine. My main goal is to get Book 1 written. Written is better than not written.

Anyways, that is what I wanted to share with you. See you in the funny papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment