Monday 12 February 2024

From the Writing Cave: Project Updates & ONC2024!! | Author, E. S. Elias

 

Hello, readers! As I mentioned in my last post, I am participating in the 2024 edition of the Open Novella Contest on Wattpad. Here's the highlights and a look at some of the projects I hope to revisit when the 12-weeks are over.

Mood: Excited
Listening to: A lot of instrumental music.
Watching: Still ONE PIECE on Netflix, but they recently added "My Wife and Kids"

As you know, I've maintained a steady update schedule on TheWriMoBlog, despite my absence here in the Writing Cave. In 2023, I had big project plans that were derailed by good things, but I feel bad for not getting to them. But before I get into those, here's how my #ONC2024 is going.

I have a detailed post about my "Prompt Picking Ceremony" so I won't repeat too much of it. My writing progress is fantastic and the story I'm writing is moving forward really fast. The characters are developing, the fantasy world is growing. Because this story makes a reference to the kingdom of Evæqesta because the kingdom in my ONC2024 novella is a neighbor. I have a map I've been putting together.

I will share my book cover and the blurb at the end of this post.

Some of the projects I hope to pick up when the ONC is over have been on my mind since Open Novella Contest 2023. 

Up first is the goal of rewriting THE LARK'S PEARL. It's missing some important details and a bit of worldbuilding. After sharing the book on Inkitt and receiving decent feedback from a reader, I know what I want to include in the next draft.

The novella is not 50k+ words, which would make it a little harder to keep details together. But I've got a new system for keeping my fantasy worlds from getting mixed up. Especially now that I've got a couple of books in mind, and the details need to be straight.

In addition to working on TLP, I have 4 books I want to outline. Yes, 3 novellas and 1 full-length novel. And yes, outline. Why? I'll tell you why. I did bring all of this up in a blog post and you can find more here: 2023 Projects

First up is Project TTAR: Time-Travel Adventure Romance. It's one inspired by a conversation with a friend who said she wants a book that is like Outlander but without all the R-rated stuff. I confidently said "I'll write it for you." That was in December of 2022. 

Next is a romantic fantasy novella that I tried to write for Camp NaNoWriMo in July, 2022, but y'all know how that went. The reason I bring it up is because I know I shared something about it, but I can't remember (rather I can't find it) the blog post I wrote about it in. I thought I shared the cover, but this peek is all I've got right now. Plus, I think I changed the cover 

It's set in the same kingdom as TLP, and it brings all the neighboring kingdoms together. I'll explain that in another post when I reveal further detail.

The third novella is my historical fantasy story linked to the Khrebtova Saga from my romance pen-name backlist. I am pretty sure I have mentioned nothing of this book to anyone except on #TheWriMoBlog but its like... Imagine if the film Kingdom of Heaven and the Last Samurai, with the bond between boy and equine beast in War Horse, with a dash of fantasy adventure.

Finally, the full-length novel. It's a YA coming of age science fiction adventure. I don't have anything for the project except a prompt from writer friend, a comp-title tagline and a short, but very impactful scene I wrote when I was given the prompt.

Well, that's all for now. Thank you for being here. Stay safe, and stay awesome. See you in the funny papers!


When Prince Oskar decides to disguise himself and goes out into the village to see what the people are like, he is met with a shocking sight. There are orphaned children in the streets, beggars at every corner, and people fighting for their next meal. The kingdom of Unara has never seen poverty and the royal family looks out for the people. Why is this village struggling?

As Oskar returns every day, he befriends one of the village’s deformed members. A young woman with multiple scars on her face. Taking pity on her, the prince gives her one of the rings on his fingers, intending for it to bring her a better life. However, the woman is soon arrested for being in possession of this ring and Oskar knows she is innocent. Until he discovers otherwise...




No comments:

Post a Comment